Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Silver Stitching

I don’t recommend breaking a finger right before a 14 hour plane ride. But if you do, make sure you break it whilst practicing your gong fu. Doing so has had a couple of silver linings for me.

The first of which is that when everyone drinks beer, I can simply state that my medication will make me sick if I have more than a few sips.

Not untrue, but I didn’t find the need to take the Vicadin much. I’ll usually avoid being medicated if I can help it for reasons that are similar to my sobriety. Equally important because I really, really hate taking pills.

The other is the easy conversation that immediately follows.
“You practice Chinese kung fu?”
“Yes, for about four years now, do you?”

This carried me through several lulls in small talk in the diners that took place after our meetings.

It’s doing better by the way. I still have a couple months of rehab ahead.

No comments: